Thursday, January 31, 2008

Staying Healthy


I am a huge advocate of doing all the necessary things to make sure that your body is HEALTHY. Even it means jumping into a cold ice bath or taking some time off once you feel an injury arise. But of course we athletes can be very stubborn and I have learned that listening is a good thing.

After competing last week, I was excited at what else the Indoor Season could bring. But unfortunately just like in the show Amazing Race, I would have to take a pit stop. My knee had been bothering me prior to the start of the Indiana meet. I figured that it was just a little sore and I could compete and be fine. I guess I was wrong on this one. The next day after competing for 2 days, my knee was swollen and I was in a lot of pain. The doctors ruled out a menicus tear, and diagnosed me with having slight tracking of the patella and some inflammation. All I know is that I didn't want to have to hear the word SURGERY!

I was both relieved and a little upset, because I now had to miss the 101 Millrose Games in New York. At this meet I would have been running an unusual distance of 600 yards. I was excited to attempt this but after hearing my bad news I looked at the bigger picture. Did I want to go and hurt myself more and be out for the season, or did I want to take some time rehabing. Sounds like option 2 is the better choice. There are no Olympic Games indoor, so my eyes are still on the prize!
Have a great weekend!

No comments: