Monday, August 18, 2008

My 1st Round in the Olympic Games (Women’s 400, lane 7)

Hey everyone,

I am so happy that I have been able to share my experiences with you all from the 2008 Olympic Games. You all are definitely great supporters and I appreciate all your prayers and best wishes. You all have helped tremendously in allowing me to stay focused and calm. Let’s start out with the first round of the women’s 400 meters which was in the morning session on the 16th at 12:30pm. I was so anxious to run and ready to get into the track stadium known as the Bird’s Nest, I didn’t know what to expect! I had already watched some events on T.V. and knew that the crowd would be there, I just didn’t realize how MANY PEOPLE WERE ACTUALLY IN THE STANDS!!! China was present in strong numbers and it was a sight to see when an American Flag flowed in a fans hand.

I had been working out a small kink in my right upper hip and quad, but was confident that I would be alright. Nothing big just a little sore spot. You know your body is never perfect, but we learn to deal with it and keep pushing forth. All of my practices had been going good and both Chris and I were confident with how the whole year had gone. The goal in the first round was to place top two in my heat so as to advance to the 2nd round. I talked with Jim the day before and he just assured me of what I needed to do. Wow my first Olympics…how would I do? I continued to say my prayers each night by asking the Lord to stay by my side, protect me, strengthen me and to allow me to do his will.

I was nervous I will admit, not doubting myself though but butterfly nervous like this is the OLYMPICS, Mary!!! I had come such a long way and I knew that my competitors were all thinking the same thing..going after a win. We would all want it, but whose day would it be? I finished 2nd in the heat and advance to the next day! I was relived but felt a little sluggish on the track. I quickly got a rub down from our trainers and took my 10 minute ice bath. One out of the way……more to come

No comments: