Thursday, August 14, 2008

BEIJING .....the next level .......where the real athletes compete!!!!

Hey everyone,

FYI- My Home Depot Commercial aired on Aug 8th and has been on several times. Check out NBC throughout the day and you will see it or here is a link from my buddy Chris Smith who put it on youtube. He taped it with his cell phone. But hopefully you can see the real thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Wupk7bB2g

Well sorry it took so long to write an update email to you all, but things here are great! I made it to China safe and sound with no problems. I have so many stories to tell that I don't know where to begin. Let's start with after the Olympic Trials....... I was so excited and proud of myself that I had one of the biggest smiles on my face for the remaining time that I was in Cincy before heading to Europe/China. Everyone in Cincy has been great supporters and fans. The coverage has been great for both myself and fellow Bearcat David Payne. I have enjoyed talking with all the reporters and being on all the news shows. I am happy for the exposure because it helps a lot of people understand more about my event, running and of course the Olympics.

Now I guess we can move on to the Big Trip.....My Road to Beijing. I left Cincinnati on August 2nd, 2008 and headed to San Jose, California to do processing. It was an amazing time in which I was able to go though different stages of processing, such as ring sizing, uniform collection, collection of sponsor gifts, shoes, clothing, getting Olympic information, and of course getting fitted for my opening/closing ceremony outfits. The whole process was overwhelming....I had a cart full of great things, and everyone from the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) was so helpful and nice. They definitely made my day. For this year Olympic Games the sponsor was NIKE and Ralph Lauren POLO. I got so much stuff that I was able to send a suitcase of stuff back home. While processing I found out that we get Olympic rings!!!! Wow my own ring. I was able to pick what I wanted it to say on the side (MARY 400M) and it will be white gold and have Olympic Rings on it. I can't wait to get it. After we went through processing a group of us (other track athletes) were able to eat dinner. We were expected to then after dinner get all our belongings together to get packed up for the airport. We would take off bright and early the next day to a long flight which would last 12 hours.

I can recall not being able to sleep that night, anticipating the next day. I felt like it was Christmas Eve and the next morning would be filled wth fun surprises. I headed to the airport the next morning and as Olympic athletes we went and checked into a special section. Check-in went smooth and the plane was a big one. I was happy with my seat choice which was a window seat with no one in the middle but another track athlete in the aisle seat. I was able to stretch out a little and get some sleep during the flight. At last after several hours and meals I landed in Beijing, China. As the plane landed I looked out to see gray skies and as I headed off the plane it was so very hot and humid. I couldn't believe....I'm Here, I'm here in China.

The transition to the Olympic Village was great, the Chinese volunteers for the games are very nice, full of smiles and very welcoming. After checking into the village the place was AMAZING. The village consisted of many dorm like buildings called suites and the athletes stay six to a room. The rooms are very cozy and I was able to recieve a gift from the Chinese children on my bed to welcome me. They painted pictures for each of the athletes. The days go by fast here espicially if you keep busy. I usually attend practice in the mornings, get treatment such as ice and stretch. then I go for lunch and then check email or go into our international zone on site, then it's time for dinner and we may have a team meeting here or there and it's bed time. Wow sounds like the life right...haha. But I am enjoying myself, and staying calm as I prepare for my first day on Saturday.

Opening ceremonies was such a great thing to be able to participate in. I was able to see so many athletes from other countries, and even from the U.S. Kobe, Carmello, Lisa Leslie, LaBron, Jenny Finch (baseball pitcher), the Venus sisters, volleyball and women's basketball, the Lopez family in Judo and even Dara Torres and Michael Phelps. I also meet President Bush, his father and Laura Bush. They all were very nice and greatful to have so many athletes to represent the USA. Walking in the cermony was long and hard because with what we had on and the weather, it was a sweaty four hours! But it was worth it and I would do it again. I was able to get some TV time by staying near Men's basketball, since I knew the TV would catch them and give them a lot of attention. If you were watching opening cermonies Men's basketball was the last team to walk into the stadium and I was talking with one of the players when the tv showed me. I was able to state to him that this crowd would be the same once track and field started. We were both amazed and he said that it was much more fans than they would have in their basketball arena. So I had a great time and was proud of Team USA for looking good and being the biggest team present. GO USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris was able to arrive a day after me and we were able to celebrate our 2nd anniversary in China. Well not really because he was actually on a plane on our date. But it is nice to have him here for support. He is also amazed with the whole experience. He is having a great time and for him the opening ceremonies was BRILLIANT. Chris wasn't able to be at the stadium but he did watch it on a big screen tv where he is staying. And boy let me tell you the coverage was great. He saw many things that you all in the US did not get a chance to see. His greatest event was the lighting of the torch and seeing the man run around the entire stadium. Chris has also been able to visit in the Olympic Village and eat a couple of meals with me. We have not been to any of the other athletic venues, but we have seen a lot on TV. We went to the Silk Market on my day off and let me just tell you there are some aggressive sellers!!!! Imagine yourself in a crowded shop with tons of people, and tons of little booths in which you go down an aisle and each floor is specific. You hear COME COME buy from me pretty girl or you handsome guy, ohhhh don't you want a tie, a purse, a shirt or some jeans. They grab your hand and usher you into their little booth and don't think you can escape. You have to bargain talk their prices!!!!! They will try to get more money from you at first then you hear the constant...ohhhh I don't make any money, youuuuu sooooo tough, or give me 300rmb and you immediately say no and only offer to give 100rmb which is like $20 USD. So that was our highlight of this trip so far. We also went to Nike hospitality in which I got some good stuff and we were able to eat and enjoy mingling. Now I am not going anywhere else until competition is over.......I am resting these legs and by he way it is raining today......

If you haven't check out the website feel free to...I actually can't put any pictures up from opening ceremony until 3 days after the Olympics so sorry you will have to wait until then. But I do know my friend Amy is a wiz on the computer and she was able to find some shots of me. We should have a listing up and schedule of when I run on the website. I will be also blogging but will try to keep it short on there. I hope everyone is well and please continue to keep me in your prayers. Talk to you all soon!!





Mary Wineberg

No comments: