Wednesday, June 11, 2008

2008 Reebok GP & 2008 Prefontaine Meet


Greetings,

This year has definitely been a true blessing for me. Not only am I healthy now but my running has been going very well. I am quite satisfied with the Lord's plan for me and all the blessings he has given to this day. I have found that many times individuals will start to doubt themselves or give up. For myself I have found neither of those as options. As I am heading into the Olympic Trials there is no doubting. I must know and state always that I am one of the best athletes in the world and I will run like one. In terms of giving up...there have been days when the work outs have been hard, but I still push forward. THERE IS NO STOPPING!!!!!

I have a huge support staff that I must THANK!!!!....1)My mom (who is unable to travel with me to many of the meets...finds pleasure watching and screaming at the T.V....Go Mary Go!!!!), 2) My husband and his entire family......I guess there like my number 1 fans also...they too scream at the TV..only if I could hear 3) My family...who is all over in the US and supports each time I am T.V. and enjoys seeing one of their family members on the screen....I guess the list could go on and on and on. Lots of Friends, my Church, the Spots, the Depot, UC, my sands, and of course Boxer!!!!!

After having a good positive year in 2007, I only wished for an even better one in 2008. I have started the year running ahead of my times from last year. I am satisfied with how my meets have been going. Yes you do want to win, but you also want to set yourself up for the bigger picture (Olympic Games). My last two meets were in New York and Eugene.

Here are the details:
New York- unfortunately there were several time delays due to the severe thunderstorms. The race ended up going off at 10:05pm. I had warmed up, sat and then had to re-warm up. Mentally I had to re do everything all over again. This was actually good practice for any future meets. As athletes no meet is set in stone...weather can always delay or change things...so you have to be ready. My legs prior to these meet felt very flat and tired. I tried not to think about it, and just remember that I wanted to race well. I went out in this race and actually could have had a better first half and second half. I ended up third but again the race did not feel fast or feel as if it was my entire best. Next week would bring something better.

Prefontaine- I came into the race with more preparation. I wanted to execute my race well. I was in lane 6 and the weather was perfect...a little windy. I discussed the race plan with my coach and my husband and knew that if I did what they asked things would work out. I placed 2nd in the meet and closed well....and saw the race as being almost perfect. There are always things that can be worked on and in my case it was two small things. Working the 3rd hundred a little better and not leaning too forward as I am closing. My time of 50.32 is close to my lifetime PR so in the trials I should get even better. I am very excited and will continue to work hard in practice. This meet is always enjoyable and the crowd in Eugene was awesome. Track Town here I come.....
See ya!!!!

2 comments:

Mom to 2+2=4 said...

I am Matt George's mother in law. Thanks for your blog. I will be following you!

sandra mae said...

Hi Mary, Matt George here. Its so good to see you following your dream. My family is keeping close tabs on you.